PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NORWOOD TIP-IN WITH 0.01 OF A SECOND LEFT WINS IT FOR RAIN O

Go down

NORWOOD TIP-IN WITH 0.01 OF A SECOND LEFT WINS IT FOR RAIN O Empty NORWOOD TIP-IN WITH 0.01 OF A SECOND LEFT WINS IT FOR RAIN O

Elasto Painters survive rain of 3s from SMB; near outright semis goal

Gabe Norwood struggled all night and didn't make his presence felt until there was just one-tenth of a second remaining in the game. And it spelled the difference.

This year's top rookie pick scored on a follow-up tip-in just before time expired as Rain or Shine escaped with a thrilling 93-92 victory over San Miguel Beer Wednesday night at the Araneta Coliseum.

The stunning reversal marked the 10th win in 17 games for the Elasto Painters, who now occupy solo second spot and enhanced their chance of gaining an outright passage into the semifinals of the KFC-PBA Philippine Cup.

SMB, which started the day tied for second with Rain or Shine and Talk ‘N Text, fell to 9-8.

"You can say its pure luck," Rain or Shine head coach Caloy Garcia said of their stunning victory. "I guess there's an angel out there who wants us to win this game."

Well, Garcia could say that. After all they beat a team who went 19-for-37 from the 3-point range, the all-time second most triples made in a game in league history.

The remarkable ending – easily the best play of the conference so far – is also sort of gratifying for co-team owner Terry Que, who is mourning the loss of his mother Que Piak Ha.

"God is good," Norwood said. "I felt I was playing bad the whole game and didn't do something right. I had to do something to help my team. But I never thought it would end like this … with so much on the line."

The entire evening was truly a struggle for Norwood. He managed just eight points on 2-of-9 shooting, but grabbed seven boards, made two assists and had one steal in 34 minutes.
But he came up big with the game on the line and time winding down.

After Dorian Pena scored on a follow-up that gave SMB a 92-91 lead with 2.6 second to go, Rain or Shine sued for time and huddled for their final offensive.

When play resumed, the Elasto Painters went to Allan Salansang, who missed an open shot from behind the arc.

As the ball rattled the back rim, Norwood soared high into the air, caught the loose ball and -- to the excitement of everybody – completed the play on a follow-up.

"I knew the shot went in before the light went out. But I did not celebrate because I just want to be sure first," said Garcia, who raised his arms the moment the game official signaled the shot was good.

"This is probably the most important game I made the game-winning shot .Hopefully we can get one more win on Christmas Day," Norwood said.

Solomon Mercado led with Rain or Shine with 19 points while Ryan Arana and Salansang added 12 apiece in a game that saw both teams combine for 31 3-pointers, tying the all-time record.

Rain or Shine went 12-of-37 from beyond the 3-point arc to add up to SMB’s 19.

Dondon Hontiveros led all scorers with 24 points including 5-of-9 from the behind the arc. Jay Washington added 15 and 11 rebounds and Pena had 12 for SMB.

Rain or Shine appeared to have sealed the game after JayR Reyes split his free throws to give the Elasto Painters a 91-86 lead with 41 seconds remaining.

But the Elasto Painters suddenly lost momentum in the closing seconds that saw Hontiveros hitting a trey and Pena splitting his free throws before scoring on a follow up that nearly won it for SMB.

The all-time record for most three-pointers made in a game is 23 registered by Talk 'N Text in a 116-99 win over Air21 last April 22 in the 2008 Fiesta Conference. The Phone Pals and the Express combined for an all-time league most 31 in that game. (DBC)
The scores:

Rain or Shine 93 - Mercado 19, Arana 12, Salangsang 12, Dulay 10, Norwood 8, Isip 8, Reyes 8, Ibanes 7, Wainwright 5, Tang 4.

San Miguel 92 - Hontiveros 24, Washington 15, Pena 12, Pennisi 10, Tugade 9, Custodio 8, Calaguio 8, Villanueva 3, Racela 3, Bono 0, Baguion 0, Gonzales 0.

Quarterscores: 24-20, 48-51, 75-74, 93-92.

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2420/1/
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit