PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yeng Guiao says coaching Bulls tougher than RP 5

Go down

Yeng Guiao says coaching Bulls tougher than RP 5 Empty Yeng Guiao says coaching Bulls tougher than RP 5

By WAYLON GALVEZ

Having used to handling a team without superstars, Yeng Guiao considers his stint as coach of the national team as manna from heaven.

"With what I’ve seen (with the national team), it’s not tougher as I thought," said Guiao who is currently in Hong Kong for an early Christmas vacation.

What concerns Guiao most is Red Bull’s campaign in the ongoing KFC-PBA Philippine Cup.

"I’m not worried with the chemistry, jelling, cohesion of the RP Team. Mas worried pa nga ako sa Red Bull," Guiao added.

The Bulls, dead last in the standings with a 5-11 win-loss record, have won their last two matches, but still need to win their two remaining games to secure an outright wildcard slot.

The Bulls upset league-leading Alaska, 100-80, and subdued Air21, 98-88, to move just half-a-game behind 6-11 Coca-Cola. They can tie the Tigers when they clash on Friday at the Ynares Sports Center in Antipolo City.

After the Tigers, the Bulls face defending champion Sta. Lucia Realty on Sunday at the Astrodome in Pasay City.

"Nagkataon lang naman siguro ‘yung dalawang panalo. Those are just temporary relief for our team, because we still need to win our last two games to advance to the next round, the wildcard," said Guiao, who is scheduled to fly back tomorrow.

"If we don’t win, it would be the same old story of coming up short. It’s half done. We have to finish it," he added.

Guiao has earned a reputation as a miracle worker, having led the Bulls to the playoffs despite the departure of star players.

Although admitting that he’s facing the toughest chore in his career, Guiao said his players are responding well to his system.

He also credited the players’ fighting heart.

"May puso itong team na ito," he said. "We also rely heavily on the system. If we lack talent, we rely on our other weapon, which is our system. We’re holding out, but I don’t know till when."

Back to his dual role as national drillmaster, Guiao said he called off the remaining once-a-week practices this year to give some of his players a chance to recuperate from injuries.

Guiao said the long break would not affect their preparation for the FIBA-Asia tournament.

"If we can put two straight weeks of practice, I’m sure magiging madali na lahat kasi hindi naman mahirap ipa-intindi ‘yung system sa mga players," Guiao said.

http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081216143615.html
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit