PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cone eyes coaching milestone as Alaska battles San Miguel

Go down

Cone eyes coaching milestone as Alaska battles San Miguel Empty Cone eyes coaching milestone as Alaska battles San Miguel

MANILA, Philippines – Alaska clashes with old nemesis San Miguel in the first game of an exciting Wednesday doubleheader of the Motolite-PBA Fiesta Cup, hoping to give coach Tim Cone his own niche in the rich, 34-year history of Asia’s first ever play-for-pay league.

The potentially explosive match up is set at 4:50 p.m. at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City in a game where Cone will be seeking his 602nd victory and surpass the legendary Virgilio `Baby’ Dalupan as the league’s winningest coach.

“Wow, who would have thought that that was a possibility," said Cone, now in his 20th year as coach of the General Milling franchise.

“It’s bitter-sweet. Baby Dalupan is the greatest coach and the only reason I was able to catch him up was because of my longevity. Just to be mentioned along his name is already an honor. And I just enjoyed him watching when I was younger."

Cone could have added more depth and meaning to a 602nd win if he had won the Philippine Cup crown against Talk ‘N Text. But they failed to slow down the Tropang Texters in a thrilling Game 7, a loss that was also depressing for a guy and a team that blew a 2-0 series lead.

Everything’s OK now for the Aces. He says the journey starts again, and he feels very comfortable with a healthy line-up and with Galen Young, his import who once played for the Beermen.

“This is another journey for us," Cone said. “We learned lessons from our previous loss in the Finals, and it’s just a matter of putting those lessons into play."

Later in the day, defending champion Ginebra begins its title defense against Coca-Cola.

The Gin Kings have tapped Rod Nealy as their reinforcement while the Tigers have hired, for the meantime, JJ Sullinger as they await the arrival of James Penny, the former Red Bull import who guided the Bulls to the 2005-06 Fiesta Conference title.

Nealy will actually be playing for Ginebra for the second time. He first suited up for the most popular team in 2007, and Uichico says that he has improved a lot.

Sullinger, on the other hand, played for Talk ‘N Text in 2006-07. He led the telecommunications franchise to the championships against the Aces, but lost in a Game 7.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/151195/Cone-eyes-coaching-milestone-as-Alaska-battles-San-Miguel
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit