PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KELLY TAKES ON ALL CHALLENGERS IN ALL-STAR SLAM-OFF

Go down

KELLY TAKES ON ALL CHALLENGERS IN ALL-STAR SLAM-OFF Empty KELLY TAKES ON ALL CHALLENGERS IN ALL-STAR SLAM-OFF

Dunkfest promises aerial show like no other

The Philippine Basketball Association’s version of Michael Jordan vs. Dominique Wilkins goes on aerial parade April 26 when defending Slam Dunk champion Kelly Williams of Sta. Lucia Realty takes on four of the league’s most electrifying human highlight films at the climax of the 2009 Motolite PBA All-Star Week at the Araneta Coliseum.

Capping the Skills Competition after the Obstacle Challenge and the Three-Point Shootout, the Slam Dunk contest features three-time champion Nino Canaleta of Purefoods, Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine, Jay Washington of San Miguel Beer, and Jared Dillinger of Talk ‘N Text, with all four looking to knock the crown off Williams’ head.

To spice up the event, imports Anthony Johnson of Sta. Lucia, Gabe Freeman of San Miguel Beer, and Jahmar Thorpe of Purefoods will slug it out in their own dunk-off, with the winner facing the local champion in a dream duel.

Then with the Air21 Express, Canaleta ruled the PBA airspace for three straight years, putting away Rico Villanueva in 2005 in Laoag, ‘04 champion Cyrus Baguio in 2006 in Cagayan de Oro, and Washington in 2007 in San Fernando, La Union before taking a break last season.

Recuperating from tendonitis, Canaleta watched as Williams obliterated fellow rim-benders Ronald Tubid, Arwind Santos and Joey Mente on the way to the 2008 title.

But now Canaleta is healthy and raring to reclaim his throne.

“Meron akong mga pina-practice na variation noong mga dati kong dunk,” says Canaleta.

“Binabago ko ng kaunti kasi pag yung dati rin ang gagawin ko, baka di na ma-amaze yung mga tao.”

Silently working on his acrobatics is Norwood, the Sultan of Swoop from George Mason University.

“We’ll see what happens,” Norwood says. “I haven’t really given it much thought, but we’ll see if I can come up with something that I can work on in practice. With Kelly and JD, we should be able to put on a good show.”

The reigning champion knows he’s up against a different breed of dunkers.

“It’s gonna be tough,” Williams says. “Those guys are athletic and have young legs. I’ve got a heavy body so I gotta try to make up some ground.”

Bruised from the pounding he has been getting in the Motolite PBA Fiesta Conference, Williams, nonetheless, is surrendering nothing.

“I’m not a hundred percent. In fact, I just turned my ankle a few days ago,” he says. “But I’ll be rested by that time, so we’ll see. I got a few ideas if my body’s ready for.”

Asked how he plans to offset his heavier frame, Williams turns cryptic: “I dunno,” he says. “I’ll just pull something out my sleeve.”

Like a Superman cape, maybe?

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2592/1/
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

KELLY TAKES ON ALL CHALLENGERS IN ALL-STAR SLAM-OFF :: Comments

jamj3

Post Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:44 pm by jamj3

It was said that whoever wins the Slam Dunk contest among the imports shall face the top dunker among the locals. Given that the locals technically, have HCA (Home Court Advantage), I do hope that the judges as well as the fans, will not be biased in favor of the locals. Kung deserving din naman talaga manalo yung import, then credit should be given to where it's really due.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum