PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guiao faces old team for first time after split

Go down

Guiao faces old team for first time after split Empty Guiao faces old team for first time after split

By Waylon Galvez

Almost three months since their much-talked break-up, coach Joseller "Yeng" Guiao, now handling Burger King, faces former team Barako Bull (formerly Red Bull) today in the Motolite-PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Burger King Titans try to arrest a two-game skid as they take on the Energy Boosters at 5 p.m. in what many tipped to be an emotional game.

Meantime, defending champion Barangay Ginebra also tries to end a two-game losing skid when it battles Rain or Shine (2-1) at 7:30 p.m.

The Elasto Painters are coming off an impressive 96-94 overtime victory over the Purefoods TJ Giants last Thursday in Muntinlupa City, where import Jai Lewis, who replaced Charles Clark III, debuted with 26 points and 23 rebounds.

However, Rain or Shine coach Caloy Garcia confessed that the locals are still adjusting to the 6-foot-5 Lewis, a former teammate of Gabe Norwood at George Mason University.

Also, Garcia expressed concerns on Ginebra, a team which dropped its last two assignments to Burger King (106-110) and Sta. Lucia Realty (76-80), as well as injuries to key players including rookie TY Tang (foot injury) and veteran forward Allan Salansang (fractured left hand).

"We’re playing a team that’s coming off back-to-back losses so I’m sure they’re going to be hungry to get a win," Garcia said. "We need to match their intensity and aggressiveness."

While Rain or Shine will rely anew on Lewis and the locals of Norwood, Sol Mercado, Jay-R Reyes and Rob Wainwright, Ginebra will lean on import Rod Nealy, Jayjay Helterbrand, Ronald Tubid, Sunday Salvacion, Eric Menk and Paul Artadi.

Fans also expect an interesting showdown between Guiao’s Titans and Energy Boosters.

Guiao, who won three of his five PBA titles while coaching Red Bull, reportedly left the team after management shipped key players Cyrus Baguio and Celino Cruz to Air21 last December. The three were reunited when Guiao signed with Burger King early this year.

"Parang it’s so weird, unusual for me to see Barako Bull na nasa kabilang side ako. Parang out of body experience it’s kind of weird," Guiao said in his first meeting with Barako Bull, which he mentored for almost nine seasons.

"But we have had enough bonding with our new team that I have identified myself with this team and they have identified themselves with me," Guiao said. "It’s just a feeling na players ko ito dati kalaban ko na ngayon. Hindi naman bitter, may emotion but I don’t think it’s going to be negative."

Burger King is coming off a pair of tough setbacks to San Miguel Beer (105-114) and Talk ‘N Text (114-117).

Leo Isaac, an assistant coach of Air21 before assuming the Barako Bull coaching post, expects his team to come out strong and rebound from a 91-100 defeat to Sta. Lucia.

The Titans will have import Shawn Daniels, mainstays Arwind Santos, Gary David, Wynne Arboleda and Baguio, while the Energy Boosters will be bannered by import Scooter McFadgon, as well as Gabby Espinas, rookie Jeff Chan and Larry Rodriguez.

http://mb.com.ph/node/199286
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit