PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALASKA SEALS BEST-OF-7 DUEL WITH TNT

Go down

ALASKA SEALS BEST-OF-7 DUEL WITH TNT Empty ALASKA SEALS BEST-OF-7 DUEL WITH TNT

Big 4th quarter gives Aces 4-2 win over SLR

Alaska Milk, the elimination round top placer, dethroned Sta. Lucia Realty, 87-83, and earned a crack at going all the way to end up on top of the KFC PBA Philippine Cup.

The Aces overcame the Realtors in another gripping battle, winning their best-of-seven semifinal showdown in six games to the delight of their cheering crowd at the Astrodome Sunday night.

Coach Tim Cone and his chargers ended Sta. Lucia's reign as All-Filipino champion and set up a rematch of their 2007 Fiesta Conference title showdown with Talk n Text.

The much-anticipated Alaska-Talk n Text grudge match begins Wednesday at the Astrodome.

The Texters also clinched a slot in the finals Sunday as they outlasted the San Miguel Beermen, 116-115, in an overtime thriller.

"I wasn't able to watch a full minute of their (the Texters') games because I was concentrated on our own semis. But I had my assistant coaches scouting them," said the Alaska coach.

Cone said his title duel with Talk n Text counterpart Chot Reyes would be "bitter-sweet" since they're good friends.

Cone believed it would not have materialized should they lost Game Six.

"We certainly didn't want a Game Seven. Sta. Lucia is such an energetic team, I don't think we can beat them in a Game Seven. They seem not to tire out at all," said Cone after they foiled the Realtors' bid to force a rubber match.

Willie Miller endured a sore shoulder, coming through with 22 points, five rebounds and five assists to lead the Aces to their 22nd final stints, 20 under Cone.

Reynel Hugnatan churned out a double-double game with 19 points and 12 rebounds while LA Tenorio logged 14 points and three assists, helping the Aces show the Realtors the door in the tourney.

As in Game Five, Sta. Lucia coach Boyet Fernandez essentially rotated only six players. They engaged the Aces in a nip-and-tuck contest but wilted at the finish.

Joseph Yeo had an error and a flubbed three-pointer, and Kelly Williams had his own missed three-point attempt that hastened their downfall.

Going to naught were the double-double games of Dennis Espino (21 points and 10 rebounds) and Nelbert Omolon (16 points and 10 rebounds).

"At halftime, I was hoping that Dennis get tired. But he didn't. He proved he's a veteran and a big time player," said Cone of Espino.

The Realtors had their last taste of the lead at 77-72 on a fourth-quarter run fueled by Espino.

The former UST stalwart also had a hand as the Realtors started strong and enjoyed an 11-point lead once in the second period. (NC)

The scores:

Alaska 87 - Miller 22, Hugnatan 19, Tenorio 14, Cariaso 8, Thoss 6, Ferriols 6, De Vance 5, Fonacier 5, Dela Cruz 2, Borboran 0.

Sta. Lucia 83 - Espino 21, Williams 16, Omolon 16, Yeo 15, Miranda 6, Reyes 5, Gonzales 2, Mendoza 2, Daa 0, Aquino 0.

Quarterscores: 16-19, 44-40, 63-69, 87-83.

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2470/1/
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit