PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PBA won't join new regional league

Go down

PBA won't join new regional league Empty PBA won't join new regional league

By Nelson Beltran

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios yesterday expressed reservation on the feasibility of the PBA joining the newly formed Asean Basketball League regional pro league which had its media launch in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Monday.

The PBA was offered to form a team for the league in a meeting between Barrios and Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) president Erick Thohir on the sidelines of the Talk n Text-San Miguel Beer game in Singapore last Dec. 6.

“I can’t see how the PBA getting involved there as a league. I can’t see how we can form the team and join the tour since the PBA’s thrust is ‘Philippine basketball for the Filipinos in the Philippines,’” Barrios told The STAR.

“I can’t speak for the members (PBA ball clubs) if there are those who are interested to join separately from their engagement in the PBA. The league itself is really doubtful,” Barrios added. “Their concept is something new. But we still have to see how they work. I can only say good luck and wish them the best.”

Meanwhile, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Noli Eala said they will have some involvement in the ABL, being the organization in the country that will recommend and sanction local teams joining the league.

“This is a FIBA-Asia and SEABA project. So they’re dealing with the national basketball federation. ABL will not accept a team from a country not certified, recommended and sanctioned by the federation. This is for check and balance, and eligibility control,” said Eala.

“I welcome this league. From the perspective of regional basketball, this is good to develop Asean basketball. This is also good for the Philippines because it means more competition and more jobs for our players. This will also give the country another lead role in Asean basketball being the best in the sport in the region,” Eala also said.

Eala said he’s already been talking to prospective companies willing to carry the Philippine banner in the league.

“I think this weekend home-and-away tourney is doable. The thing is that they’ve yet to discuss the franchise fee. But I understand they will offer a good package to the teams,” said Eala.

The ABL will feature teams from Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore and the Philippines. Each country can field more than one team and each one reinforced by two non-Asian players and two Asian players.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=433490&publicationSubCategoryId=69
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit