PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guiao, cage stars bond for RP cause

Go down

Guiao, cage stars bond for RP cause Empty Guiao, cage stars bond for RP cause

By Nelson Beltran Updated November 19, 2008 12:00 AM

National coach Yeng Guiao met the members of the national training pool for the first time Monday night and drew positive response for the national cause in its daunting mission to make the grade in the world championship.

Cage legend Sonny Jaworski graced the occasion and gave inspirational message, sharing his own experience as a national player in various international competitions, including the 1968 Olympics in Mexico and the 1974 World Championship in Puerto Rico.

All the players, except Kelly Williams who’s nursing a swollen eye, were present in the Kamayan-Saisaki Edsa meeting which lasted for two hours. Also in attendance were commissioner Sonny Barrios, team manager Tony Chua, Tokushima Fiba Asia national coach Chot Reyes, Michael Ong of Yakult and assistant coaches Gee Abanilla and Roehl Nadurata.

“Basically, it was reckoning of our minds, hearts and our intention, and the players were receptive,” said Guiao.

“I discussed with them my basic philosophies as a coach. I told them they have to make some sacrifices as they have to adjust from what they’ve been doing with their respective teams to what they’re going to do with the RP team. I asked each one to say right away if they can’t commit, and we’ll not take it against them,” Guiao also said.

Guiao said they’re starting practice Monday setting in motion the buildup for the RP bid to gain a berth in the world championship in Turkey in 2010.

The RP team assembles every Monday from 6-9 p.m., working to develop cohesion in the first three months. They’re to step up their training starting February as they’re competing in the SEABA championship in May.

“I will not burn them out because I know they have conditioning training with their respective PBA teams. We’ll develop bonding. We’ll try to get to know each other and know the system the sooner the better,” said Guiao. “I’ll have no problem with Kerby (Raymundo), Willie (Miller), Mick (Pennisi) and Cyrus (Baguio) because they’ve played under me.”

Guiao said he will urge the team to embrace core values including good preparation, good judgment, mental and physical toughness.

“If they can’t take these, they’re not meant to be part of the team,” said Guiao.

Jaworski said it is “the best legacy that you can give your family, especially your children and your grandchildren – that of having played for your country and that you have done your best.”

“Playing for the national team is a very unifying experience,” Jaworski said. “Unlike in the PBA when the coliseum is divided, when you go to a foreign land the whole nation is behind you.”

Source: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=416667&publicationSubCategoryId=69
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit