PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules

Go down

Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules Empty Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules

By Tommy Manotoc

There’s a new set of rules governing fouls in the Motolite PBA Fiesta Cup, rules that have its upsides and, as far I am concerned, a lot of downsides as well.

Touch fouls are being called with reckless abandon, giving tremendous advantage to the offensive player and leaving basketball fans—who believe in defense and watch the games from a wider perspective like me—looking for a lot more.

There are longer endgames in the PBA today, but longer endgames don’t necessarily mean exciting ones. Games become longer because much time is spent on the free throw line. Players are being sent there because of fouls called based on the new rules.

The new rules will eventually encourage more coaches to use the zone defense. Players who are known for their defensive talent will have less playing time.

The final scores will probably be higher and the accent of the games will definitely be more on offense.

Take the case of Alaska’s Galen Young, who hit the showers prematurely in each of the Aces’ first two games because of fouls.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Alaska should have won both games had Young stayed in them until the end. Having Young in the endgame doesn’t mean that Alaska would be the better team in the stretch.

What I am saying is that the final fouls called on Young were mere “touches” on the offensive player. They were infractions that could have easily been let go so that the fans can witness the beauty of those games.

Against San Miguel, a total of seven players left the floor because of fouls, Young being one of them. Four—all big men—came from San Miguel. There’s nothing worse for a losing team than having its import or its top local foul out.

The new set of rules has given referees more power and has put the outcome of games primarily in their hands and not on the players, who sweat it out there to give fans a show.

It is because of this that Aaron James, my former import at Utex, comes to mind again. He told me during one championship game not to take him out, despite his five fouls, because he knew what type of fouls the referees would call in the endgame.

But during that time, there was a big difference as far as the setting is concerned. During those days of the PBA, the great former commissioner Leo Prieto tapped NBA referees to handle the championship games.

The PBA technical committee will have to work double time to determine who among the referees interpret the rules properly.

The referees should not be influenced by the contact created by offensive players, thus drawing the foul.

There has to be a constant evaluation of referees after each game to determine their performance.

The ones who don’t perform properly should not be given assignments in important games, especially during the playoffs.

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090311-193481/Pros-and-cons-of-changes-in-PBA-rules
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules :: Comments

jamj3

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:29 am by jamj3

Are these changes implemented to help the National team adjust and prepare for international competitions???

Because after all these, they better revert to the old rules for these new ones somehow, suck.

Petty fouls here and there, early penalties which slows the game down, bunch of players getting disqualified and even good defensive stoppers becoming liabilities. Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules 168307 Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules 168307 Pros and cons of changes in PBA rules 168307

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum