PBA Fanatics Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Talk 'N Text loud and clear!

Go down

It's Talk 'N Text loud and clear! Empty It's Talk 'N Text loud and clear!

By Nelson Beltran

It's Talk 'N Text loud and clear! Spo1hiresgd6
Talk N Text owner Manny V. Pangilinan (third from right, standing) joins the Texters in their celebration after they won the PBA Philippine Cup crown last night.

MANILA, Philippines - In the final reckoning, Talk n Text simply proved it was the better team, carving out a 93-89 win to capture the KFC PBA Philippine Cup crown before a mammoth cheering crowd last night at the Araneta Coliseum.

The Tropang Texters beat out the Aces in yet another tough game, completing an epic comeback from 0-2 and 2-3 deficits in the best-of-seven series to claim a second all-Filipino championship in seven years.

Macmac Cardona, the tournament scoring leader, delivered an exclamation point in his wondrous performance in the tourney with a 23-point game he also laced with two rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block in 39 minutes of play. He was later named the Mighty Bond Finals Most Valuable Player.

Rookie Jason Castro found no better time to perform his best game in the series, putting in 19 points, eight rebounds and the same number of assists with Ranidel de Ocampo, Jimmy Alapag, Ali Peek, Renren Ritualo and Harvey Carey giving their own valuable contributions to give Talk n Text the championship that completed a “grand slam” for team owner Manny V. Pangilinan.

Pangilinan was the chief backer of the Ateneo Eagles and the San Beda Lions teams that reigned supreme in the last UAAP and NCAA seasons.

For coach Chot Reyes, the championship meant so much personally after the debacle of the national team he coached in the 2007 FIBA Asia championship in Tokushima, Japan.

“It was 18 months ago in Tokushima when I felt I let the country down in Tokushima. Back then, I wanted to take a break only to find myself back here a year and a half later. For me, this is validation that I made the right decision to continue coaching,” said Reyes.

“This championship somehow erased the pain of the Tokushima debacle. Other than that, I shook Tim (Cone’s) hand then got to the dugout because I felt the players deserve the championship more than anyone. They worked hard and put up a lot for me and the organization,” Reyes added.

Curiously, the two teams finished with the same 19-12 win-loss records in the tourney.

The Aces finished a game better in the elimination round but the two teams split their first six games in the season before the Texters pulling off the big one in a yours-or-mine game.

“It was a hell of a series where we’re up against an organization with a lot of class. We split our games in the elims and split our first six games in the series. In the end, it took us one game to emerge the team that deserved the crown more,” said Reyes.

It was a dogfight until the Aces missed crucial shots at the finish.

They were down by only two, 89-91, with still over a minute left to play when Joe Devance and Willie Miller misfired two charities each.

Keeping possession with Ali Peek unable to pull down the rebound with 12.8 seconds left to play, Alaska opted to live and die with Miller.

The conference best player missed a tough shot against Peek and Harvey Carey and the Texters started whooping it up in celebration of the sweet championship.

The Texters, largely behind the exploits of their wing men, got a big run in the second quarter, enjoying an 11-point spread at 43-32 before settling for a 47-41 at the turn.

Returning from a brief rest, Miller banged in a three-pointer then sank two charities, enabling the Aces to draw within six going into the second half.

Behind the combination of Miller, LA Tenorio, Joe Devance, Sonny Thoss and Tony dela Cruz, the Aces actually started stronger, poising an early breakaway at 18-12.

Timely hits of Renren Ritualo and Jason Castro coming off the bench served as the initial spark on a Talk n Text run swaying the tide in its favor in the second quarter.

Alaska broke the ice with Tenorio converting a short jumper from the left flank on the Aces’ first possession.

Jared Dillinger was called for an offensive foul in the ensuing play before Ranidel de Ocampo tipped in a missed TnT shot then Ali Peek scored on a short stab for the Texters’ first taste of the lead.
matrix
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum